General Statement of Duties
Performs managerial, professional, and coordinative duties in support of the ASC/SA for First Baptist Church Smithfield, NC. An employee plans, organizes, and coordinates ASC/SA for school age children. Duties include activities leaders, assistants, and drivers; managing budget, purchasing, enrollment, and other administrative duties; and determining school related activities for the programs. Work is supervised and coordinated through the Children’s Ministry Board (CMB). Work involves heavy public contact and strong liability and responsibility levels for the children when in the programs. Considerable independent judgement and initiative are required in the performance of duties. Tact and courtesy must be exercised in dealing with ASC/SA staff, parents, children, program functions, as well as church staff, congregation, and CMB. The employee may be exposed to human body fluids and this position is subject to the final rules and regulations for OSHA bloodborne pathogens. Duties are supervised by the Chairperson of the CMB and are evaluated annually by the board through conference, observation, and feedback from parents and children served.
Essential Duties and Tasks
- Develops and supervises the various activities for the ASC/SA program.
- Supervises, trains, monitors, and evaluates activities leaders, assistants, and drivers in the programs.
- Develops standards and expectations for activities in the programs; assures staff meets and implements these standards and expectations.
- Develops and implements enrollment processes and paperwork, interviews and orients parents; assigns students to leaders; develops advertisement processes; aids the CMB in administration of the scholarship program.
- Recruits, interviews, and hires staff for the programs in cooperation with the CMB.
- Manages physical facilities with church maintenance staff.
- Develops and projects budget for the ASC/SA programs; recommends fees, employment compensation, and other costs for the program; purchases materials, supplies and equipment for the program.
- Performs varied administrative duties such as correspondence, arranging for substitutes, purchasing, developing schedules, preparing reports and maintaining records.
- Communicates to parents regarding children who have problems in the program; determines necessary course of action to correct and resolve.
- Observes program activities; checks for safety on playgrounds and in other activities; keeps informed of legal responsibilities and liabilities.
- Maintains electronic administrative records and files of the program functions.
- Clarifies and explains policies and program goals to staff and parents.
- Establishes activities schedules, calendar, use on indoor and outdoor space, and other schedules.
- Monitors and maintains a safe environment and safety practices and processes for children and staff; keeps health records and reports for children, implements safety program and playground safety rules.
- Develops training and professional growth activities for staff; encourages participation in external career development activities.
- Attends various church board meetings applicable to ASC/SA functions.
- Conducts staff meetings
- Prepares reports related to the ASC/SA programs for the CMB.
- Maintains confidentiality regarding children, staff, and parents.
- Assists staff with their duties and tasks; provides leadership and serves as mentor as necessary.
- Shops for materials, supplies, and snacks.
- Performs related duties as requested.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of childcare activities, supervision, and safety for school age children in a Christian environment.
- Considerable knowledge of safety and risk management issues for school age activities and programs.
- Considerable knowledge in budget management, administrative (e.g. word processing, spreadsheets, database), and related functions needed in ASC/SA programs.
- Ability to provide leadership and implement the Christian philosophy of the program (e.g. devotions, prayer board).
- Ability to plan, organize, and coordinate the work of staff in developing and implementing school age program.
- Ability to lead staff meetings, activities, and direct staff.
- Ability to develop and implement school age activities for the children.
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral, written, and electronic forms.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, children, parents, the general public, and CMB.
- Special skill and interest in working directly with school age children on a routine basis.
- All employees in this job class above 21 years of age must be able to drive a vehicle for transportation of the children.
- Must be able to physically perform the basic life operational functions of climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions.
- Must be able to perform light work exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to lift objects.
- Must possess the visual acuity to work with data and figures and observe and inspect the work of others in children’s activities.
- Graduation from a four-year college or university with a major in elementary education, recreation, physical education, or related field and experience as a teacher or leader of school age activities or programs; or an equivalent combination or education and experience
- Possession of a valid North Carolina driver’s license
- Certification in First Aid and CPR
- Must be a Christian and be actively involved in church
First Baptist Smithfield is seeking to fill the position of ASC/SA Program Director. Interested candidates may send their resume to: email@example.com